With the concept of protecting our Earth’s natural resources, implementing green construction practices and using advanced technological methods to reduce our carbon footprint, it’s no surprise that a myriad of global properties have shifted to becoming fully sustainable.
Modern technology is creating superior commercial and residential buildings – it’s truly an exciting and revolutionary time for tenants, investors and property managers alike! Thanks to the Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Technology and enhanced connectivity are improving the tenant experience on all fronts.
Smart buildings are a fantastic choice for corporate tenants who are looking to lease new space, as well as residents looking to live in a building that is forward-thinking in terms of environmental sustenance. Most aspects of smart buildings can be remotely controlled, thanks to the IoT. The interconnection of the system enables high-quality green buildings (more energy-efficient, less carbon footprint properties) to really take the stage for the future, especially for tenants that are looking for a more sustainable way of living. Some of the best ways green buildings have improved our planet include:
- Upcycled architecture that reuses resources to build new properties. By reducing waste, preserving natural resources and limiting energy uses, green buildings can be extremely efficient structures that can withstand the test of time.
- Smart buildings are extremely durable. Going green is just the best way to ensure that your property will need less maintenance and improve air quality in the process.
- Healthier air. Seriously. Green buildings avoid using building materials that may contain harmful Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) or plastic by-products that have been linked to the release of toxic fumes and carcinogens into the atmosphere.
Greener properties are an evolving business strategy, with the global commercial real estate market rapidly shifting to create a culture of innovations and sustainability across a multitude ranges of properties. As the need for sustainable apartments is being amplified, so does the appeal of moving into environmentally-conscious apartments that have a reduced carbon footprint. It’s not just about finding a property with low rent in a great neighbourhood – it’s also about finding a home that has a positive impact on the planet.
The future of a better planet begins with greener buildings
Health and safety are strong drivers in the smart-building market because tenants want better control over their environment. The advantages of having environmentally-friendly amenities have increased the appeal of greener buildings to move into due to:
- Touchless technologies (digital key cards, fobs, motion sensors) eliminate any wasted electricity and energy.
- WI-FI-enabled spaces that allow tenants to work from anywhere at any time. Smart buildings have helped increase both mobility and productivity in hybrid workers, connecting every electronic device in your workplace to all other smart devices in your home. No more lost data!
- Hyper-connectivity allows tenants to maintain power in their units even in the event of a power shortage.
- Green buildings have enhanced air quality for residents due to upgraded air filters that block 98% more pollutants than non-smart buildings.
Green buildings that have smart technology improve the overall resident experience, enabling the technology-driven lifestyles of this decade. When a resident has full control of their building processes via an app, rather than coordinating with the property management team that eats away time, it becomes much easier to schedule apartment services and package delivery.
Forward-thinking technology increases the appeal to occupy units and makes current residents more likely to sign their leases. Think about it, would you rather be living in an older building with numerous outdated services, or would you rather be residing in an environmentally-aware building that gives you what you want at the touch of a button on your phone? Because smart buildings integrate the latest forms of technology that benefits both the tenants and the property managers, there will be a higher premium expected for them.
Smart buildings enhance the security of tenants
Residents, above all else, are looking for a place to live in that is safe and has enhanced security standards that make them feel secure at all times. Smart sensors, security devices, wireless audio systems and keyless entries can all be part of an advanced IoT system that makes up a smart building.
Who doesn’t love remote-controlled accessibility? Smart buildings give tenants the power to monitor and adjust the building’s connected systems with a touch of a button or by accessing an app on their phone. Mobile access to property management (lighting systems, temperature controls, surveillance cameras and security locks) has optimized the way residents perceive their buildings and influences them to sign their leases year after year.
Check out my video on why you always should adapt to the current real estate market to improve your chances of succeeding – sustainability for the win!
Smart buildings have revolutionized the way that developers, renters, and property operators have improved the safety and sustainability of their properties and units, so it’s no surprise that green buildings are becoming the most coveted of commercial real estate amenities. We can feel good knowing that we’re headed in a direction of preserving our planet while benefiting generations to come.
It’s time to think outside the box and think green!